Jobs Available at Ithaca College Library
Access Services / Multimedia (Fall 2017)
Perform a variety of circulation/multimedia, reserve and interlibrary loan activities to include charging and discharging materials, recording payments for fines, accepting reserve requests for books, and tracing missing library materials.
This position reports to the Access Services and Multimedia Services Managers. This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but may receive guidance and direction from the Circulation Services Coordinator and 2nd Shift Coordinator.
- Routine desk duties as scheduled, including, but not limited to, charging/discharging materials, processing electronic payments for outstanding fines or fees, placing recalls/holds, utilizing the library’s circulation and interlibrary loan systems.
- Accept faculty reserve requests for library books, personal book copies, and photocopies.
- Prepare materials for electronic reserves which includes scanning documents using a multi-function device.
- Traces missing library materials.
- Interlibrary loan activities, including retrieval and scanning of library materials to be sent to requesting libraries.
- Advise users regarding library policies or procedures; refer questions regarding overdue, and lost items, fines, claims and returns to library staff when needed.
- Provide assistance with basic operation of copy machines, microfilm equipment and printers; assist with paper jams, coin operation problems; report ongoing problems requiring service to the Access Services Manager.
- Notify the Circulation Services Coordinator, 2nd Shift Coordinator, Access Services and Multimedia Managers of any problems related to policies, procedures, or building security.
Ithaca College student; attention to detail, organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, working knowledge of personal computers. Experience working at a library or customer service desk preferred. Must be available to work nights, weekends or mornings.
How To Apply
Please submit a one-page statement of interest for working at the Library, a resume and library application to the Circulation Desk, attention Bernard Hogben, Manager, Access Services. When applying for a position, please indicate the specific department or position. Applications are being accepted until all positions are filled.
Multimedia Services Desk Attendant (Summer 2017)
Responsible for the daily workflow at Multimedia Services as scheduled.
This position reports to the Multimedia Resources Manager, but may receive guidance and direction from the Multimedia and the Circulation Services Coordinators.
- Perform routine desk duties as scheduled to include charging/discharging multimedia material using circulation software and processing pickup/hold requests.
- Advise users regarding library building, policy and procedures.
- Refer users to the correct online form or staff as needed (Scheduling, Reserves, Fine Appeals).
- Shelve multimedia materials; maintain collection in correct call number order.
- Provide patron assistance with basic operation of audio/visual equipment.
- Deliver multimedia to campus departments as requested.
- Open/close library building as schedule demands; ensure security of the collection and safety of library staff and patrons.
- Work on various projects as assigned.
- Previous library experience in circulation or equivalent experience in customer service.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to assert library policy.
- Capable of working independently.
- Applicants must be available and willing to work shifts as assigned, including weekends. Multimedia student employees staff the desk Monday-Fridays 7:30am-10:30pm and Saturday-Sundays 10am-10:30pm.
How to Apply
Submit a statement of interest, resume and library application to Multimedia Services, attention Kelly Merritt, Multimedia Resources Manager. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
Music Center Student Assistant (Fall 2017)
Customer service is a primary responsibility of this position. Students who staff the Music Center desk are trained in the advanced use of the web-based library catalog, article databases, and library procedures to be able to provide help to patrons requiring research assistance. Other varied duties include:
- Processing new sound recordings, music books, and scores
- Assisting with ordering and cataloging of music materials (working with library online system, remote databases, and data entry)
- Shelving music books and scores; maintaining order and organization of music collection
- Working with direction and independently to maintain the quality of patron experience when using the collection or requiring help
- Working on various other projects as assigned
- Answering phone
- A friendly, approachable, service-oriented attitude is essential, as is the ability to work without direct supervision on evenings and weekends
- Music major or significant coursework in music required
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Excellent organizational and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently when required
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel preferred
Average 7-8 hours per week. Salary: $9.86/hour
Students will be assigned hours during the times that the music center is open: Monday - Sunday (10am-10pm)
How To Apply
Candidates should submit a cover letter, application, and proof of GPA to Kristina Shanton, Music Librarian, at the Music Center desk (3rd Floor, Gannett).
Applications will be accepted until by Friday, April 14th, at 5pm.
- Liking the Library on Facebook is a great way to learn about jobs as they appear.