Communication Graduates: Basic Skills
Welcome Graduate Students!
Let's stay connected:
Table of Contents
Get to know the library
- The library is on the 2nd through 5th floor of the Gannett Center. Here are some maps to find our service points and books. There is wireless access in the library.
- Digital Media Lab (3rd floor). Practice presentations, scan images, plug in your laptop, or use the software to create and edit multimedia projects. There is a "Hardware and Software" guide to the library that lists what the library has.
- 24/7 Access. Authenticate into library computers and databases (on campus or off) using your Netpass account (email user name and password).
- We have wireless access. Bring your laptop or borrow a library laptop at the Circulation desk.
- Printing is free. Sign into a library computer using your Novell account. Printing goes to the IT student helper at the Circulation desk.
- Check the library hours at the top of the library's homepage.
- There is a tab to access Reserves. E-Reserves can be accessed in Sakai. Books on reserve can be accessed at the Circulation desk.
- Check out books, laptops and supplies at the Circulation desk. You'll get an email reminder when the book is almost due (generally you can have books out for a "block" -- a half a semester). Renew books through the library's catalog (click "login" from the library's homepage). Here is our Circulation Policy that defines how long you can check out different items (DVDs, books, computers, Reserves).
Selected databases & reference books
The following resources cover literature in communication, business, education, sociology and psychology. LexisNexis is great for business, news, and legal information. The Business databases (Business Source Premier and ABI/Inform) are especially good for case studies. The Encyclopedia of Communication Theory is a great resource for theory. Access all of the library's databases from on campus or off 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may be prompted for your Netpass. This is another word for your email user name and password.
- Communication Source Top database for communication research.
Demo search: "strategic communication" W5 plan*
- Encyclopedia of communication theory
REF P87.5 .E496 2009 It is in the Reference section (back right of the 2nd floor)
- LexisNexis Academic Use this for current news, law and business information.
- Business Source Premier (Original Interface) This is on an EBSCO platform and can be searched with CMMC.
- ABI/INFORM Collection A good business database.
- ERIC (Ebsco interface) Top database for education research.
- Professional Development Collection
Designed for professional educators, provides a highly specialized collection of nearly 600 full text journals, including more than 350 peer-reviewed titles.
- SocINDEX with Full Text Top database for research in sociology.
- PsycINFO Top database for research in psychology.
Over 109,000 full-text ebooks on business & economics, education, technology, humanities, life & physical sciences, law & politics, medicine, social & behavioral sciences, language & literature, and career guidance. Approximately 300 ebooks are single-user access titles; all other ebooks support multiple-user simultaneous use. Demo search "Communication in management" as a subject
Music and Film: Multimedia Services desk
Browse Journals for Strat Com
- Academy of Management learning & education
- Advertising Age - publisher's website AdAge
- Communication Education
- Communication Theory
- Communication World
- Communication Yearbook
- Design Issues
- Educational Media International
- Educational Technology
- Educational Technology Research and Development
- Harvard business review
- Human Communication Research
- Human Resource Development Quarterly
- Human Resource Management
- Innovations in Education and Teaching International
- Interactive Design Annual (part of Communication Arts)
- International Journal of Instructional Media
- International Journal of Strategic Communication
- Journal of Advertising Education
- Journal of Communication
- Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
- Journal of Distance Education
- Journal of Educational Technology Systems
- Journal of Employee Communication Management
- Journal of Instruction Delivery Systems
- Journal of International Communication
- Journal of Marketing Communications
- Journal of Public Relations Research
- Journal of Visual Literacy
- Management Communication Quarterly
- PRweek (U.S. ed.)
- Performance Improvement (ISPI)
- Performance improvement quarterly
- Public Relations Quarterly
- Public Relations Review
- Ragan Report
- Social Marketing Quarterly
- Special Events Magazine
- Strategic Communication Management (Melcrum)
- Visual Communication Quarterly
These are subject guides that may interest you.
- Communication Research Methods
- Communications Management and Design
- Corporate Communication: Strategy & Design
- Crisis Management & Communications
- Designing Communication Strategies
- Executive Masters in Communicaiton Innovation
- Human Communication in Organizations
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Public Relations
Clicking the GET IT arrow
When searching, if you see the "GET IT" icon, click on it. You'll be taken to the full text or to ILL if full text is unavailable.
Citing Sources Using APA
The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is the style manual of choice for many disciplines in the social sciences. The current edition is the sixth (2010).
What is Zotero?
Ron Gilmour, our Science Librarian, created, "A Brief Guide to Using Zotero".
Find books by subject
- Advertising, Political United States
- Blogs Political aspects
- Business communication
- Business ethics
- Communication in politics
- Communication Political aspects
- Crisis management
- Educational technology
- Employees Training of
- Intercultural communication
- Communication and culture
- Communication in management
- Communication in organizations
- Complex organizations Management
- Education Simulation methods
- Instructional systems Design
- International organization
- Mass media Political aspects
- Non-governmental organizations
- Organizational effectiveness
- Personnel management
- Persuasion (Psychology)
- Public relations
- Simulation games in education
- Social learning
- Social responsibility of business
- Video games and children
- Web-based instruction Design