Table of Contents
- WADA -World Anti-Doping Agency
Promotes, monitors and coordinates the fight against doping in sports.
- USADA-United States Anti-Doping Agency
Executes a comprehensive national anti-doping program encompassing testing, adjudication, education, and research, and to develop programs, policies, and procedures in each of those areas. Executes a comprehensive national anti-doping program encompassing testing, adjudication, education, and research. Develops programs, policies, and procedures in each of those areas. Maintains list of prohibited substances for athletes.
- Court of Arbitration for Sport
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) is an institution independent of any sports organization which provides for services in order to facilitate the settlement of sports-related disputes through arbitration or mediation by means of procedural rules adapted to the specific needs of the sports world.
- International Olympic Committee
The Executive Board of the IOC assumes many of the legislative functions of the organization and is responsible for enacting all regulations necessary for the full implementation of the Olympic Charter. The Executive Board is assisted in its administrative function by several commissions, including ethics, TV rights and new media, and sports and law.
- NCAA -National Collegiate Athletics Association-Governance
The Association's governance structure consists of division-wide legislative bodies, as well as an Executive Committee that serves as the highest governing body for the NCAA. Information on rules, bylaws, eligibility, conduct, compliance, drug testing, etc.
Websites which might be helpful
- National Sports Law Institute Research Site-Marquette University
The National Sports Law Institute's Sports Law Research Website is intended to provide links to useful information for sports lawyers, sports law students and faculty, sports journalists and sports industry professionals. The website provides direct links to useful information often taking the user to other Institute pages including the NSLI's Links Page, Sports Law Organizational Documents Page, and the NSLI's Sports Law Research Holdings Page.
- FindLaw: Sports Law News
Site includes legal news, case law, and analytical articles.
- Sports Law -Legal Information Institute-Cornell University
- Sports Law Blog
Honored as one of Three Best Sports Business Blogs. This blog has recent news and information on a wide variety of sports law topics and cases.
- International Sports Law Research Guide by Amy Burchfield
This guide covers the key institutions and organizations that govern international sports. Dispute settlement mechanisms for sport are included, with reference to sources of sports decisions. International treaties that relate to sports are highlighted, along with key policy documents. Themes thar are briefly covered in this guide: human rights, discrimination, violence, women and sports, and sports and the EU.
- Mitchell Report on the Use of Drugs in Major League Baseball
Report to the Commissioner of Baseball of an Independent Investigation into the illegal use of steroids and other performance enhancing substances by players in Major League Baseball (MLB). The report is the result of former United States Senator George J. Mitchell's 21-month investigation into the use of anabolic steroids and human growth hormone (HGH). The 409-page report was released on December 13, 2007, covers the history of the use of illegal performance-enhancing substances by players and the effectiveness of the MLB Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
- Steroids in Baseball
This site gives an overview of the use of steroids in baseball. It includes links to the Mitchell Report, a steroid use timeline, various commissioners and how they addressed drug use and testing and the collective bargaining agreements up to the present day.
Databases to Find Articles & Cases
- LexisNexis Academic Go to Look Up A Legal Case and chose the appropriate section: Law Reviews or Cases.
- Business Source Premier (Original Interface) Useful for finding news on a wide variety of topics.
- Business Insights: Essentials Search under Article Search where you may search either by subject or keywords.
- ProQuest Research Library Search for newspaper and magazine articles. Only source to cover the Wall Street Journal.
- General OneFile Good all-around database to find articles. Search by subject or keywords.
- Academic Search Premier -combination of general and scholarly articles.
- SPORTDiscus with Full Text -includes articles and citations on sports law.
- Sports Litigation Alert
Tracks legal developments as they occur in amateur and professional athletics as well as legislative issues that impact sports law professionals. Sports Litigation Alert features an extensive archive of case summaries and guest articles written by sports law professionals. It is published bi-weekly.
Selected Journal Titles
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.