ICSM Captivate and Connect – Storytelling for Social Justice
Recommended Periodical Databases
- Academic Search Premier and ProQuest Research Library
Two general databases with coverage of both current events and a comprehensive amount of subjects and disciiplines. Includes both popular and scholarly materials.
Covers a wide range of scholarly journals. Great for historic coverage but not usually good for current coverage, often with no immediate access to articles published within the last 1-5 years, depending on the publication.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
- LGBT life with Full Text
- Gender Studies Collection
- Diversity Studies Collection
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- Project Muse
Provides full text of aticles from scholarly journals in a wide range of social sciences and humanities
- MLA International Bibliography
Provides coverage of articles and books on modern literatures, linguistics, folklore, rhetoric, and composition
- Communications & Mass Media Collection
From GALE, this is a subject collection derived from the database Academic OneFile. A custom collection of more than 100 journals focused on all aspects of the communications field: key subjects covered include advertising and public relations, linguistics, and literature.
For help in telling stories in pictures
A sampling of ebooks
- Narrative, identity, and the map of cultural policy, by Constance DeVereaux and Martin Griffin. 2013.
Once upon a time in a globalized world.
- Telling stories: language, narrative, and social life, edited by Deborah Schiffrin, Anna De Fina, and Anastasia Nylund. 2010.
Storytelling for the realities of the post-modern society.
- Storytelling in daily life: performing narrative, by Kristin M. Langellier and Eric E. Peterson. 2004.
Based on the premise that storytelling matters, changes things, and endures.
- Transforming tales: how stories can change people, by Rob Parkinson. 2009.
- Speaking out: storytelling for social change, by Linde Zingaro. 2009.
Someone else encouraging you to use your stories for a purpose.
- The healing heart--communities: storytelling to build strong and healthy communities, edited by Allison M. Cox and David H. Albert. 2003.
Socialization and community building through stories.
- How to tell a story and other essays, by Mark Twain. 1899.
On the Web
- National Storytelling Network
Dedicated to advancing the art of storytelling as a means of contributing to the quality of life.
- Center for Digital Storytelling
Assists youth and adult storytellers use digital media tools to craft their ideas into meaningful stories, record and share them in ways that enable learning, build community, and inspire justice.
StoryCorps is an independent nonprofit with a mission to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives by friends and family members interviewing each other. All conversations have been preserved at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.
- This American Life
The NPR radio show has shared the mostly true stories of every day people for two decades.
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.