ICSM Dialogue on Design
ICSM: Dialogue on Design
1. Gain the ability to search the library catalog for books
2. Execute a request for books and articles the library does not own through Interlibrary loan (ILL)
3. Gain the ability to search for scholarly (academic or peer reviewed) articles
4. Gain awareness that librarians create research guides that can facilitate your research be contacted for assistance
(Milton Glaser's DYLAN)
Table of Contents
Best Bets: Databases
- Arts & Humanities Database
Arts & Humanities Database titles include both scholarly peer-reviewed journals and selected trade and consumer titles relevant to applied arts and cultural studies. This database features hundreds of titles covering art, architecture, design, history, philosophy, music, literature, theatre, and cultural studies.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
A comprehensive index of journal articles published worldwide from 1934 to the present on architectural design and history but coverage as well of real estate development, sports facilities, commercial buildings, city planning, urban design, environmental studies, historic preservation, landscape architecture, and archeology.
JSTOR provides access to academic journals and primary sources in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
- Project Muse
Project MUSE offers full-text current and archival articles from 600+ scholarly journals from major university presses covering literature and criticism, history, performing arts, cultural studies, education, philosophy, political science, gender studies, and more. Updated continually.
Database of more than 1,000,000 digital images representing visual and material culture across cultures and time periods. Documents the fields of architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts, and design, as well as many other forms of visual culture. ARTstor tools enable the ability to save groups of images online for personal and classroom use. IC's Visual Resources Collection (VRC) of over 20,000 images is now available. Look for the Ithaca College-Visual Resouces Collection link in the lower middle section of the page.
- Image Collection
Search for articles with images across EBSCO databases using the Image Search interface. Thumbnails will display in the results list when using this interface.
- Saul Bass Poster Archive
- LexisNexis Academic
Full-text access to continuously updated news, law, and business information. Highlights: News: newswires, transcripts, regional, national/international news, & Gallup Polls; Legal: law review articles, federal case law, and federal/state codes; Business: company profiles, country profiles, and SEC filings; People: directories from the entertainment industry, elected officials, executives, politicians, and obituaries. Also has a section that includes full-text of several health newsletters and abstracts of articles in major medical journals.
- Gannett Newsstand Complete
Contains over 85 Gannett newspapers, 6 of which are New York newspapers. These include the Ithaca Journal (Full-text for 2002 - present), Poughkeepsie Journal, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Journal News (White Plains), Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton) and Star-Gazette (Elmira).
- New York Times (1980-present)
Full-text of The New York Times from 1980 - present. For Historical coverage please use ProQuest Historical Newspapers The New York Times (1851 - 2007)
- CBS Sunday Morning: The Design Show. (May 2016). This special episode is devoted to design and designers: architecture, fashion, interior design, & product design.
Articles about Designers
- Frank Lloyd Wright
- Richard Neutra
- Pierre Koenig
- Julius Shulman
- Louis Kahn
- Frank Gehry
- Kelly, David
- Charles & Ray Eames
- Dieter Rams
- Tim Brown AND design*
- Steve Jobs AND design* - Jonathan Ive
- Yves Behar
- Paul Rand, 1914-1996 (tricky as there is Rand Paul running for office!)
- Milton Glaser
- Massimo and Lella Vignelli
- Paula Scher
- Stefan Sagmeister
- Architecture and design in Europe and America, 1750-2000. Malden, MA; Oxford: Blackwell Pub., 2006. General Stacks NA954 .A73 2006.
- Oxford Art Online
Covers every aspect of the visual arts from prehistoric times to the present. Search by styles and cultures, time period, and geographic region. Includes access to the Oxford Companion to Western Art, the Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms, and the Encyclopedia of Aesthetics. Also provides access to 5,000 images through partnerships with organizations such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the British Museum, the Museum of Modern Art, Art Resource, and international galleries and individual artists. Search for images and biographies - images are also accessible through links embedded within articles, or by clicking a tab at the top of articles entitled Images.
- Grove Encyclopedia of Classical Art and Architecture
Covers every art form, medium, and civilization to the fall of the Roman Empire. Information on classical arts, including philosophers, rulers, writers and artists, architecture, ceramics, and sculpture.
- Concise encyclopedia of interior design. 2nd ed. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1988. Reference NK1165 .D58 1988
- Contemporary architects New York: St. Martin's Press, 1980. Reference NA40 .C6
- The Elements of Design: a practical encyclopeida of the decorative arts from the Renaissance to the present. New York: Free Press, 2003. General Stacks NK750 .E48 2003
- The Encyclopedia of furniture: an outline history of furniture design in Egypt, Assyria, Persia, Greece, Rome, Italy, France, the Netherlands, Germany, England, Scandanavia, Spain, Russia, and in the near and far east up to the middle of the nineteenth century. New York, F. A. Praeger, 1957. General Stacks NK2270 .S363
- Encyclopedia of interior design London; Chicago; Fizroy Dearborn Publishers, 1997. 2 volumes.
- A History of western architecture 5th ed. London, Great Britain: Laurence King Pub., 2011. Reference NA 200 .W412 2011
Clicking the GET IT arrow
When searching, if you see the "GET IT" icon, click on it. You'll be taken to the full text or to ILL if full text is unavailable.
Books by Subject
- Architectural design
- Architecture--Designs and plans.
- Arts and crafts movement
- Commercial art
- Eames, Charles.
- Eames, Ray.
- Gehry, Frank O., 1929-
- Glaser, Milton
- Graphic artists
- Graphic arts
- Industrial design
- Industrial designers
- Jobs, Steve, 1955-2011.
- Kahn, Louis I., 1901-1974.
- Morris, William, 1834-1896.
- Neutra, Richard Joseph, 1892-1970.
- Graphic arts
- Rand, Paul, 1914-1996.
- Stickley, Gustav, 1858-1942.
- Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959.
Use the database WorldCat via FirstSearch
WorldCat via FirstSearch provides bibliographic information for over 41 million books and multimedia owned by libraries worldwide. Books will be borrowed by snail mail. You will receive an alert to pick up the book at the Circulation Desk in the library with your student ID card. Loan periods tend to be about one month.
TED talks on design
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.