EDUC 20000 Education and Society
Principle Education Databases
General periodical databases
- ERIC (Ebsco interface)
Bibliographic citations, abstracts, and some full-text for journal articles, research and technical reports, conference papers and proceedings, program descriptions, teaching guides, and lesson plans covering all areas and levels of education.
- ProQuest Education Database
ProQuest Education Database covers hundreds of topics related to primary, secondary, higher, special, and alternative education.
JSTOR provides access to academic journals and primary sources in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
Comprehensive coverage of sociology and related social sciences, so extremely valuable for topics in the areas of criminal justice, ethnic & racial studies, gender studies, marriage & family, politics, religion, rural & urban studies, substance abuse, and violence.
- Ethnic Newswatch
A full-text collection of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press. Contents include African American, Arab and Middle Eastern, Asian American, European, Jewish, and Native American publications, including the Spanish-language press.
- Diversity Studies Collection
Covers a diversity of diversity topics related to social science, history and liberal arts. This collection explores cultural differences, contributions and influences in our global community.
In addition to educational psychology topics, the database could be useful for social aspects of education.
General periodical databases
- Academic Search Premier
Multi-disciplinary database which includes a large collection of peer-reviewed journals in many areas of academic study including: archaeology, area studies, astronomy, biology, chemistry, ethnic & multicultural studies, law, mathematics, music, physics, psychology, religion & theology, women's studies, and other fields. Coverage varies, but begins in the 1990s for most journals.
- Google Scholar
Different from regular Google, GoogleScholar can be used to search for peer-reviewed articles and papers from broad areas of research. Supports cited reference searching. Includes recent or unpublished work that hasn't yet been indexed in other databases. Citations will link to the full-text resource provided by the IC Library, when available.
These are some of the Subject Headings that might be useful in finding books and other materials in the catalog. There are hundreds of others.
- Education--Social aspects
- Education and state
- Multicultural education
- Comparative education
- Educational sociology
- School environment
- Socially handicapped children--Education
- Education--Aims and objectives
- Race awareness -- United States
- Race discrimination;
- Sex differences in education.
- Feminism and education
- Social justice--Study and teaching
A few ebooks
- Making the most of intercultural education / edited by Heidi Layne, Virginie Trémion and Fred Dervin. 2015.
- Race talk and the conspiracy of silence: understanding and facilitating difficult dialogues on race / Derald Wing Sue. 2015.
- The schooled society: the educational transformation of global culture / David P. Baker. 2014.
- Building cultural bridges in education / edited by Nataša Bakić-Mirić and Davronzhon Erkinovich Gaipov. 2013.
- International handbook of research on children's literacy, learning, and culture. 2013.
- Multicultural education: from theory to practice / edited by Hasan Arslan and Georgeta Raţă. 2013
- Rattling chains: exploring social justice in education / edited by Louis G. Denti and Patricia A. Whang. 2012.
- Responding to diversity in schools: an inquiry based approach / edited by Susie Miles and Mel Ainscow. 2011.
- Radical pedagogy: identity, generativity, and social transformation / Mark Bracher. 2006.
National Center for Educational Statistics.
- Fast Facts
Summaries of the most frequently requested education statistics. See the rest of the NCES website for more.
- American Fact Finder
- Community data by city, county or zipcode.
- American Community Survey
A nationwide survey designed to "provide communities a fresh look at how they are changing." It collects information such as age, race, income, commute time to work, home value, veteran status, and other important data.
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.