Frequently Asked Questions

FAQS: Multimedia FAQs

New York CPLR 4509 prohibits library staff from releasing Library records, which contain names or other personally identifying details regarding the users of the college, including but not limited to records related to the circulation of library materials . 

This information can only be disclosed upon request or consent of the user.  So, a student will need to grant the library permission in advance, before the library will release his/her account information.
You can find the due date for any item by looking at its record in Argos.

By logging into your Library Account, you can see the due dates of items you have borrowed.
Instructions can be found here. Please contact Kris Shanton, Music Librarian, for information on username/password.
An all region/all format DVD player is located in viewing station #V3. The remote must be checked out from Multimedia Services in order to access the menu options.

You may also choose to download VideoLAN, open source cross-platform multimedia player.

PAL DVDs can be viewed on any computer with any media player. Headphones for in-house use are available for check out from the Circulation/Reserve Desk.
Submit a Multimedia Scheduling Request.  Scheduling in advance will help ensure the item is available when you need it.

There will be no cost to your organization as long as the Library holds Public Performance Rights and the showing is free and limited to the Ithaca College community.   If the Library does not hold Public Performance Rights, we can provide you contact information in order to obtain it.
  • Check, money order, or ID Express at the Circulation Desk.
  • Cash may be added to your ID Express acccount using the Value Added machine, which is located to the right of the copiers on the main floor.
  • Unpaid fines/fees are automatically billed to the Office of Student Financial Services after 30 days. All charges are non-refundable after this point.  Transfers may be initiated earlier upon request.
  • IC Affiliate and Staff fines/fees not paid within 30 days will be sent to Financial Services for collection at which point they will be non-refundable.
  • Sign in to your account.
  • Select My Account.
  • Tick the box next to the item you wish to renew and click Renew Selected.
  • Refresh the screen to display the new due date.
NOTE: items Not Renewable must be returned to the library to avoid potential fines.
Students may renew library-owned books, music scores and multimedia materials twice if the item(s) has not been recalled.

If an item has been renewed twice and is still needed, please contact staff at either the Circulation or Multimedia Services Desk.

See the Circulation Policy for more information.
Special permission to remove the item from the library and an extended loan period may be approved as needed.  Please submit a Media Scheduling Request
Yes, the replacement cost will be credited to your library account for materials not yet billed to the Office of Student Financial Services.  Once transfered, all fines and fees are not refundable.  Lost or overdue items remain the property of the Ithaca College Library and must be returned if subsequently located.
A "public performance" is any performance of a film which occurs outside of the home, or at any place where people are gathered who are not family members. In most cases titles sold by video and retail outlest are restricted to home use only and do not include public performace rights.

The films's media producer or distributor normally manages performance rights and the rights-holder can assign PPR to others through a Public Performance License. PPR are required for all screenings of copyrighted media to audiences outside of regular curriculum, i.e. student club events, department sponsored lectures and film series.

PPR are not required for dorm room/home viewing and screening media in the context of face-to-face teaching in the classroom.

Showing media, whether borrowed from the library or rented/purchased, to groups outside of the classroom may be illegal,and may place the College at risk legally.

The IC Library does not necessarily purchase media with Public Performance Rights, since many of our acquisitions support the curriculum and are used in face-to-face teaching, which is exempt from PPR. However, many distributors of our educational films include PPR in the purchase price.

If performance rights are available, they will be listed in the Performance Rights field in the Details section of the item record in the online catalog.   

Core materials must be used by students in the library within a four hour loan period. The collection includes essential preservation copies of out-of-print materials deemed neccessary in support of a particular curriculum and Ithaca College ensemble concert recordings.  
Have you already renewed your materials? Remember that students can renew IC Library materials online twice, even if they are already overdue.

If you've already renewed, reply to the courtesy/overdue email and let us know the situation. We'll do our best to help you upon reviewing the situation.

Renewal limits and fines will waived in the case of a verifiable family or individual health emergency, or a required appearance in a court of law in accordance with Ithaca College's Attendance Policy.
DVD-R is a DVD recordable format. As such, the quality of the disc depends upon the original source of the material and what equipment is used to burn the disc. Because of the inconsistency in playback, i.e. skipping and pixilation, a note has been added to the bibliographic record for all DVD-Rs in our collection. It is suggested that instructors check to be sure their equipment will play the disc before their scheduled class-time. For economic reasons, it's the only way many specialized educational videos will ever be released on DVD.
The College Archives houses Serling television scripts, movie screenplays, stage play scripts, films, published works, and secondary materials. Consult the Archives site for more information.

Search FAQs