ICSM Indy and Durable: Independent Media and Dependent Ecologies
(image from: The Declaration of Independence, Library of Congress).
Library Instruction objectives:
1. Find books using the library's catalog
2. Execute requests for books and articles the library does not own using Interlibrary loan (ILL)
3. Find scholarly (academic or peer reviewed) articles
4. Discover that librarians create research guides that facilitate research; they can be contacted for assistance
Table of Contents
- Best Bets: Databases
- Books by Subject
- Media Ecology & Culture
- Contact Us
- Search Argos
- Circulation Policy
- Hours and Floor Maps
- Clicking the GET IT arrow
- Indy and Alt Ithaca
- Big Media
- Changes in the Media
- Related Guides
- Explorations in Media Ecology
- Tell Us What You Think
Best Bets: Databases
- Gannett Newsstand Complete
Contains over 85 Gannett newspapers, 6 of which are New York newspapers. These include the Ithaca Journal (Full-text for 2002 - present), Poughkeepsie Journal, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Journal News (White Plains), Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton) and Star-Gazette (Elmira).
- Ithaca Voice
Local online newspaper for Ithaca, NY. Lauched: June, 2014
- Ithaca Times
The online edition of Ithaca's weekly paper. Current issue only.
Portal to newspapers, radio and t.v. stations, magazines, and international news. Can browse by state or search by city. If you don't know the title of your local paper, use this to look it up.
- Search the title of the newspaper under "Find a Journal" under the Articles tab of the library's homepage.
- If your newspaper is not in a library database you are limited to using the newspaper's website. Or, search for a larger metropolitan newspaper (ex. if you can't find the Bucks County Courier Times try the Philadelphia Inquirer).
- Email Cathy if you need help! I'll sit down and walk you through it.
- Alternative Press Index
Index to articles in alternative news sources. Use to research topics that may not be well covered in the mainstream press; 1991 to current.
- Black Newspapers
Black Newspapers is a collection of current newspapers providing access to news from 1989 to the present,including Afro-American Red Star, Call & Post (A&I), Chicago Defender, Houston Post (A&I), Michigan Chronicle, Muslim Journal (A&I), New Journal & Guide (A&I), New York Amsterdam News, and the Los Angeles Sentinel.
- Discover America's Story
Discover America's Story focuses on small-town, rural, and local articles and reports on what is happening in-town and in-county while providing a local point of view on bigger issues such as state, regional, national politics and world affairs. The product is rich with articles relevant to geographic locations often under-reported or overlooked by mainstream news coverage such as natural resources, agriculture, land use, water rights and farming. Small-town news, op-ed, business, arts, government and life in general are covered well, plus published legal notices and obituaries are included. [description from LexisNexis]
- Ethnic NewsWatch
Ethnic Newswatch is a full-text collection of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press. Contents include African American, Arab and Middle Eastern, Asian American, European, Jewish, and Native American publications, including the Spanish-language press.
GenderWatch is a full-text database containing 140 international publications plus reports, pamphlets, papers and conference proceedings devoted to women's and gender issues. It is a repository of materials on gender issues worldwide, the evolution of the women's movement, and the changes in gender roles over the last twenty years.
An index drawing on the connection between the environment and disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health and technology. GreenFILE provides a unique perspective on the positive and negative ways humans affect the environment. Nearly 300,000 records (full text for selected titles) from scholarly and general interest titles, as well as government documents and reports.
- LGBT life with Full Text
World's literature regarding Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender issues. (Was GLBT Life with Full Text)
Books by Subject
**Search globalization and localism as keywords -- there are not good subjects on these concepts!
Books that look at the social aspects of subjects:
- Capitalism--Social aspects.
- Communication--Social aspects.
- Consumption (Economics)--Social aspects.
- Economic development--Social aspects.
- Economics--Sociological aspects.
- Environmental policy--Citizen participation.
- Environmental protection--Citizen participation.
- Food industry and trade--Social aspects.
- Food supply--Social aspects.
- Industries--Social aspects.
- Information technology--Social aspects. *** especially useful
- Journalism--Social aspects.
- Mass media Social aspects
- Sustainable agriculture--United States.
- Sustainable development--Social aspects.
- Sustainable living.
- Technology--Social aspects--Congresses.
- Television--Social aspects.
- Alternative Mass Media
- Blogs Political aspects
- Complexity (Philosophy)
- Communication and technology.
- Communication in community development
- Consumption (Economics)--Moral and ethical aspects.
- Counterculture--United States
- Digital communications.
- Independent filmmakers
- Independent films
- Intercultural communication.
- Information Society
- Interorganizational relations.
- Journalism Objectivity
- Jounalism Political aspects
- Jounalistic ethics
- Journalism--Technological innovations.
- Local mass media
- Mass media and culture.
- Mass media and globalization.
- Mass media and language.
- Mass media and the environment
- Mass media--Economic aspects.
- Mass Media Infuence
- Mass Media Moral and ethical aspects
- Mass Media Objectivity
- Mass media Ownership
- Mass media policy
- Mass media Political Aspects
- Mass media United States Objectivity
- Multimedia communications.
- Online social networks--Political aspects.
- Occupy movement.
- Organizational change.
- Political participation--United States
- Problem solving.
- Protest movements--United States
- Small presses
- Social media.
- Social problems in mass media.
- Stereotypes (Social psychology) in mass media.
- System analysis.
- System theory.
- Underground press
- United States Politics and government Blogs
- Visual communication.
WorldCat via FirstSearch provides bibliographic information for over 41 million books and multimedia owned by libraries worldwide. Books will be borrowed by snail mail. You will receive an alert to pick up the book at the Circulation Desk in the library with your student ID card. Loan periods tend to be about one month.
Media Ecology & Culture
- "What is Media Ecology?" (from the Media Ecology Association)
- Susan Barnes
- Ben Bagdikian
- Ian Bogost
- James Paul Gee
- Raymond Gozzi
- Henry Jenkins
- Paul Levinson
- Geert Lovink.
- Geert Lovink.
- Evgeny Morozov
- Robert G. Picard
- Neil Postman
- Mark Prensky
- Clay Shirky
- Roger Silverstone
- Lance Strate
- Ethan Zuckerman
- Siva Vaidhyanathan
- Communication Research Trends
- ETC: A Review of General Semantics
- Explorations in Media Ecology
- Media, Culture & Society
- Alternative Press Center Online Directory
- Center for Social Media & Social Impact
School of Communication, American University. CSM is an organization that uses media for social action. The site includes many free documents including the Documentary Filmmakers' Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use, Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Scholarly Research in Communication, Honest Truths: Documentary Filmmakers on Ethical Challenges in Their Work, Code of Best Practices for Sustainable Filmmaking, and Clipping Our Own Wings: Copyright and Creativity in Communication Research. See the "Documents" page for additional resources.
- Digital Media Law Project
Berkman Center for Internet & Society, Harvard University. Assists citizen media creators navigate legal issues & risks.
- Critical Commons : For Fair & Critical Participation in Media Culture
This non-profit site supports teaching and research by hosting media clips that can be used for classroom instruction. Faculty can add clips with commentary for class instruction by registering on the site as an advanced user. Students who register as basic users can create links and post comments to videos.
- Denver Open Media (DOM)
Organization that trains and disseminates citizen media video. Here is their vision statement.
Organization that advocates for media reform.
- Journalism that Matters
Community of media innovators that gather to discuss the changing ecology of news production and dissemination.
- Media Ecology Association (MEA)
Association that studies media ecology which is, "the relationships between media, consciousness, and culture in interdisciplinary, philosophical and historical contexts to examine our technological society."
- Media History Digital Library
A non-profit initiative dedicated to digitizing collections of classic media periodicals about cinema, broadcasting, and recorded sound. Collections feature extensive runs of several important trade papers and fan magazines.
- Media that Matters
Stream video from the Arts Engine's Media that Matters film festival. The festival features short videos on issues of the day. Learn more here.
- Pew Internet & American Life Project
From the website, "The Project produces reports exploring the impact of the internet on families, communities, work and home, daily life, education, health care, and civic and political life. "
- Prelinger Archives
Over 48,000 films, 90 old time radio audio clips, 2,000 game videos, 250 independent news clips and much more (including educational films, cimmercials, stock footage, advertisements and industry films)
- Open a browser and go to MyResNet.com
- Start by choosing “Sign Up”
- Fill in your Information
- Submit by clicking “Create Your Free Account”
- Log in, restart and you’re connected!
Call (607-274-1000) or Email the ITS Help Desk
Monday-Friday: 8 am - 5 pm
CHAT: @ MyResNet.com 24/7
TEXT: “ResNet” to 84700
Clicking the GET IT arrow
When searching, if you see the "GET IT" icon, click on it. You'll be taken to the full text or to ILL if full text is unavailable.
Indy and Alt Ithaca
Tompkins Sustainability Map
Second Hand Stores
Alternative and Indy Ithaca (a sampler):
Alternative Gift Fair
Alternatives Credit Union
Buffalo Street Books
Durland Alternative Library
Finger Lakes ReUse
GreenStar Natural Food
Home Green Home
Ithaca Car Share
Ithaca Community Radio
Ithaca Farmers Market
Ithaca Health Alliance
Lehman Alternative Community School
Local First Ithaca
New Roots Charter School
Tompkins County Public Library
Changes in the Media
- A Federal Communication Commission Report: "Information Needs of Communities: The changing media landscape in a broadband age."
- Center for Social Media (American University)
- Digital Media Law Project (Harvard University)
- Knight Foundation: Meeting Community Information Needs
- Media Giraffe Project
- Pew: State of the News Media
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.