TVR 46000: Media Across Cultures
About this Guide
This guide supports the senior seminar Media Across Cultures which is described as follows on your syllabus, "This seminar will discuss cultural behaviors, customs, gender disparities, treatment of elders, language, and gestures in different cultures, and how we can stretch and exercise our sense to better comprehend international sounds and textures. We will learn to open our minds to different sets of value systems and beliefs in order to report stories across cultures, with respect, sensitivity and discernment." Refer to your syllabus for the full Couse Description.
Table of Contents
Best Bets: Databases
Use these databases to find scholarly journal articles, trade publication articles, and news:
- Academic Search Premier Multidisciplinary database.
- Business Source Premier (Original Interface) Business database. Good for searching media companies.
- Communication Source Journal articles from all fields of communication (Journalism, Marketing, Radio, Television, etc.).
- Communication Studies: a SAGE Full-Text Collection Full-text journals from the publisher SAGE. This is a full-text colection of titles in the field of communications by the publisher SAGE
- Ethnic NewsWatch Ethnic press and scholarship.
- SocINDEX with Full Text Sociology database.
Citations and abstracts for journals and books relating to the field of economics, includes the Cambridge University Press Abstracts of Working Papers in Economics. 1969-present
- General OneFile Multidisciplinary database
- JSTOR Limit to articles. Includes fulltext of legal, political, anthropological, and sociological articles.
- Nexis Uni (replaces LexisNexis) Find international news, newswires and transcripts here.
- National Newspapers Premier Includes BBC Monitoring a translation service. To search by title, click on "more search options" and type "BBC" after publication title.
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
Social Science Research Network (SSRN) indexes and abstracts research papers in the social sciences and contains working and forthcoming papers. Some are full text documents are available.
- Breit, R. A. (2008). Journlistic Self-Regulation in Australia: Is it Ready for the Information Society? International Communication Gazette, 70(6), 505–528. doi:10.1177/1748048508096144
- Carroll, Jill. (2006). Foreign News Coverage: The U.S. Media’s Undervalued Asset (Working Paper). Harvard, Mass. Retrieved from http://shorensteincenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2007_01_carroll.pdf
- Choi, J. (2009). Diversity in Foreign News in US Newspapers Before and After the Invasion of Iraq. International Communication Gazette, 71(6), 525–542. doi:10.1177/1748048509339788
- Hanitzsch, T., & Mellado, C. (2011). What Shapes the News around the World? How Journalists in Eighteen Countries Perceive Influences on Their Work. International Journal of Press/Politics, 16(3), 404–426. doi:10.1177/1940161211407334
- International Organisation for Migration (IOM). "Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners."
- Stone, G. C., & Zhiwen Xiao. (2007). Anointing a New Enemy. International Communication Gazette, 69(1), 91–108. doi:10.1177/1748048507072787
- Centre for Intercultural Learning: Country Insights
From the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, this resource assists with intercultural communications. You can choose a country and learn about conversation and communication styles. See also: Culture Crossing
- Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications
Haque, S. M. M. (2003). Cultural Values and Mass Communications. In D. H. Johnston (Ed.), Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications (pp. 369–380). New York: Elsevier.
Jacobs, R. N., & Sulik, G. (2003). Ethnic and Gender Stereotyping. In D. H. Johnston (Ed.), Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications (pp. 587–596). New York: Elsevier.
Johnston, C. B. (2003). Cross-Cultural Communication. In D. H. Johnston (Ed.), Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications (pp. 357–368). New York: Elsevier.
Reis, R. (2003). Traditional Cultures, Impact of Media on. In D. H. Johnston (Ed.), Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications (pp. 501–509). New York: Elsevier.
- Handbook of International and Intercultural Communication
P94.6 .H36 2002
Essays on theory and research in cross-cultural and international communication.
- The handbook of critical intercultural communication
HM1211 .H34 2010
Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- International Press Institute. Use with Care handbook A reporter’s glossary of loaded language in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict (60 pgs). Zurich, Switzerland. Retrieved from
Books by Subject
- Africa--In mass media
- African Americans--Press coverage-
- Censorship--Religious aspects.
- Communication and culture
- Communication--Developing countries.
- Communication, International.
- Comparative civilization.
- Ethnic relations--Press coverage
- Ethnic mass media
- Ethnic press--United States.
- Hispanic Americans and mass media.
- Hispanic Americans--Press coverage
- Intercultural communication.
- Indians--Press coverage
- Indigenous peoples and mass media
- Islam in mass media.
- Islam--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Journalism--Social aspects--United States.
- Mass media and children.
- Mass media and culture
- Mass media and race relations
- Minorities--Press coverage
- Minorities in mass media
- Pluralism (Social sciences)
- Propaganda, International.
- Race relations--Press coverage
- Race relations and the press
- Racism in mass media.
- Racism in the press
- United States--Armed Forces--Minorities--Press coverage.
- United States--Race relations--Press coverage.
Clicking the GET IT arrow
When searching, if you see the "GET IT" icon, click on it. You'll be taken to the full text or to ILL if full text is unavailable.
Sample searches: Article Quick Search
These searches will retrieve scholarly articles about the subject:
- CIA World Factbook
Provides basic history of all countries - includes maps, population, history, politics, economics, education, communications, transportation and military data.
- BBC News: Country Profiles
Full profiles provide an instant guide to history, politics and economic background of countries and territories, and background on key institutions. They also include audio or video clips from BBC archives. Contain information on the different types of press available in the country.
- Compendium: Cultural policies and trends in Europe
From the website: The Compendium is a joint venture between the Council of Europe and the ERICarts Institute, realised with a community of practice of independent cultural policy researchers, NGOs, national governments and information partners.
- Country Reports
Cultural, historical, and statistical information for countries.
- World Maps and Country Profiles (World Press Review)
Search by country or region for maps and news.
Statistics & Analysis
Public opinion data from the European Commission. Data has been gathered since 1973.
Statistical data for European Union members.
- Pew Global Attitudes Survey
Gauges public attitudes toward globalization, democracy, and other issues. Users can view all of these reports on the site and also see the datasets used to craft each report.
- European Media Monitor includes breaking news (NewsBrief), news analysis and summaries NewsExplorer, etc. for European news
A central data source and handy way to graphically compare nations. NationMaster is a compilation of data from such sources as the CIA World Factbook, UN, and OECD. Use the search form to generate maps and graphs on all kinds of statistics. Click the "Countries A-Z" tab, pick a country, then choose "media"
UNdata pools major UN databases and those of several international organizations - browse, search and download data from a large number of statistical databases. Data categories include: agriculture, education, employment, energy, environment, health, human development, industry, information and communication technology, national accounts, population, refugees, trade, and tourism.
- Media Cloud
Data tool from the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard that visualizes the flow of the media.
- International Motion Picture Almanac
- International Television & Video Almanac
- Statistical Yearbook (European Audiovisual Observatory) REF HE8700.9 .E8 S72
European Audiovisual Observatory, Council of Europe, 2008. 3 volumes. The library acquires new editions every few years.
- TV Dimensions REF HE 8700.8 .T917
- World Values Survey
Data on the the values and beliefs of over 80 societies worldwide since 1981. Representative national samples of each society’s public are interviewed, using a standardized questionnaire that measures changing values concerning religion, gender roles, work motivations, democracy, good governance, social capital, political participation, tolerance of other groups, environmental protection and subjective wellbeing.