ICSM Great Mysteries of Humanity
General Periodical Databases
Databases of Special Interest
- JSTOR A periodical database that specializes in back issues of journals. You won't find articles from the most recent three years, but you will find articles from journals first published in the nineteenth century or even earlier. There are many subjects and disciplines covered, and there are 94 archeaological journals included.
- AnthroSource A good source for anthropological topics.
- SocINDEX with Full Text An excellent database to use if your topic is related to sociology or any social issue.
- ATLA religion database with ATLASerials For study of multiple religions and their holy literature, but for religious aspects of other topics as well.
- Communication Source A must database for Park School students and anyone else looking for information related to film, television, public relations, or media manipulation.
- ScienceDirect A periodical database that specializes in science, but includes full text of social science journal articles as well.
- ARTstor Database of more than 1,000,000 digital images representing visual and material culture across cultures and time periods, including prehistoric eras. Images can be viewed, downloaded, and shared.
- Health Reference Center Academic
Access to journals in medicine, nursing, allied and consumer health. Includes full-text reference books, pamphlets, overviews of clinical topics, and indexing and abstracts for over 1500 additional titles covering patient and consumer health information. Subset of Health and Wellness Research Center database.
- LexisNexis Academic Combines news, business, and law in its coverage.
Finding a topic
- Science News for web site or Science News for access through the Ithaca College Library. Scientific research written in lay language.
- Scientific American for web site or Scientific American for access through the Ithaca College Library. All aspects of science and technology, with articles aimed at the general educated public.
- New Scientist for web site or New Scientist for access through the Ithaca College Library. Science for the scientist, written with humor and flair!
- CQ Researcher Provides an excellent starting point for current events issues, and many science and health topics are included. Each report provides an introductory overview; background and chronology on the topic; pro/con statements from representatives of opposing positions; and other reporting and analysis. The bibliographies at the end can lead to to further reading.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context Covers today’s hottest social issues with background information and opinion pieces from multiple sources.
- Facts on File World News Digest
Facts on File World News Digest provides Information on issues, events, and people from 1940 to the present. Features include country profiles, primary documents, key issues, newsmaker profiles, and newspaper editorials. The database incorporates World Almanac and Book of Facts.
Library of Congress Subject Headings
The online catalog used Library of Congress Subject Headings for subject indexing of books, DVDs, music, and other materials. They represent a controlled vocabulary -- which means all the materials about the same concept should be located by using the same words or phrases. A subject heading may consist of one or more words and may also have sub-headings.
Subject Headings in Databases
There will usually be a great similarity between the subject headings used in various periodical databases, which are often the same as Library of Congress Subject Headings. However, several use their own Thesaurus of Descriptors or Subject Headings. So be prepared to use synonyms and related words as you look for information in different places.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary loan expands what is available to you. If you don't already have one, I strongly recommend you create an Interlibrary Loan Account soon. Then when you find an article that is not immediately available, you can have it sent to you online. On average, the turn around time is under 48 hours.
Other Subject and Course Guides
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.