WGST 26100 Psychology of Women
Principal Periodical Databases
In addition to PsycINFO, there are a few other databases you may find useful in research of the psychology of women.
GenderWatch is a full-text database containing 140 international publications plus reports, pamphlets, papers and conference proceedings devoted to women's and gender issues. It is a repository of materials on gender issues worldwide, the evolution of the women's movement, and the changes in gender roles over the last twenty years.
- Gender Studies Collection
This collection of journals aims to provide balanced coverage of this significant aspect of our culture, covering such topics as gender studies, family and marital issues, health aspects, and many more.
- LGBT life with Full Text
World's literature regarding Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender issues. (Was GLBT Life with Full Text)
- SocINDEX with Full Text
Comprehensive coverage of sociology and related areas of study: criminology & criminal justice, demography,ethnic & racial studies, gender studies, marriage & family, political sociology, religion, rural & urban sociology, social development, social psychology, social structure, social work, socio-cultural anthropology, sociological history, sociological research, sociological theory, substance abuse & other addictions and violence.
- Diversity Studies Collection
Covers a diversity of diversity topics related to social science, history and liberal arts. This collection explores cultural differences, contributions and influences in our global community.
- MEDLINE (EBSCO) and PubMed
When your topic is medically related.
- SPORTDiscus with Full Text
When your topic involves women in sports or physiological topics.
- Academic Search Premier , ProQuest Research Library , and General OneFile
These are periodical databases that index both popular and scholarly materials in a variety of disciplines.
Includes a wide range of disciplines. The emphasis is on historical coverage.
The title is misleading. In addition to scientific disciplines, includes psychology and social science titles.
The standard diagnostic tool used by mental health professionals worldwide to diagnose mental disorders. Part of PsychiatryOnline, the DSM Library also includes additional supportive materials.
Encyclopedia of Feminist Theories
Presents an overview of topics related to women and feminist scholarship, including theory, but related topics as well, such as collaborative learning, menopause, television, and single sex education.
Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History
Contains over 650 biographies of influential women and over 600 topical articles covering topics such as geography and history, culture and society, organizations, movements, and gender studies.
Sample Subject Headings
Note about Further Reading
- Performing sex: The making and unmaking of women's erotic lives by Breanne Fahs, SUNY Press, 2011. HQ29 .F34 2011
- Longing to tell : Black women talk about sexuality and intimacy by Tricia Rose. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2004. E185.625 .L66 2004
- The purity myth: How America’s obsession with virginity is hurting young women by Jessica Valenti, Seal Press, 2009 ebrary [A DVD based on this book is also available. DVD 8465]
- Sexual fluidity: understanding women's love and desire by Lisa M. Diamond. Harvard University Press, 2008. HQ29 .D523 2008
- The clitoral truth: The secret world at your fingertips by Rebecca Chalker, Seven Stories Press, 2000 HQ447 .C53 2002
- Pornland: how porn has hijacked our sexuality by Gail Dines. Beacon Press, 2010. HQ471 .D549 2010
- Generation roe: inside the future of the pro-choice movement bt Sarah Erdreich. HQ767.5.U5 E73 2013
- African Americans doing feminism: putting theory into everyday practice edited by Aaronette M. White. SUNY Press, 2010 ebrary
- The fat studies reader edited by Esther Rothblum, S. Solvay, and M. Wann, New York University Press, 2009 ebrary | RA645.O23 F55 2009
- Arrested justice: black women, violence, and America's prison nation by Beth E. Richie. NYU Press, 2012 ebrary
- Women behind bars: The crisis of women in the U.S. prison system by Silja J.A. Talvi, Seal Press, 2007 ebrary
- All about love: new visions by bell hooks, William Morrow, 2000 BF575.L8 H655 2000
- Girls like us: Fighting for a world where girls are not for sale: A memoir by Rachel Lloyd, Harper Perennial, 2012 HQ281 .L57 2011
- Excluded: Making feminist and queer movements more inclusive by Judlie Serano, Seal Press, 2013 HQ1101 .S47 2013
- Bitches, bimbos, and ballbreakers: the Guerrilla Girls' illustrated guide to female stereotypes by the Guerrilla Girls. Penguin, 2003 HQ1206 .B444 2003
- Yell-oh girls!: emerging voices explore culture, identity, and growing up Asian American edited by Vickie Nam. Quill, 2001 E184.O6 Y45 2001
Feminist history and theory
- Yes means yes!: Visions of female sexual power & a world without rape edited by Jaclyn Friedman & Jessica Valenti, Seal Press, 2008 HQ29 .Y47 2008
- Full frontal feminism: A young woman’s guide to why feminism matters by Jessica Valenti, Seal Press, 2014 HQ1155 .V35 2014
- A history of U.S. feminisms by Rory Dicker. Seal Press, 2008 ebrary
- Black feminist thought: knowledge, consciousness, and the politics of empowerment by Patricia Hill Collins. Routledge, 2008 ebrary
- No turning back: The history of feminism and the future of women by Estelle Freedman, Ballantine Books, 2002 HQ1121 .F74 2003
- The essential feminist reader edited by Estelle Freedman, Modern Library, 2007 HQ1154 .E77 2007
- Gaga feminism: sex, gender, and the end of normal by J. Jack Halberstam. Beacon Press, 2012 HQ1233 .H323 2012
- Undoing gender by Judith Butler. Routledge, 2004 HQ1075 .B89 2004
- Packaging girlhood: rescuing our daughters from marketers' schemes by Sharon Lamb and Lyn Mikel Brown. St. Martin's Press, 2006 HD9970.5.C483 U655 2006
- So sexy so soon : the new sexualized childhood, and what parents can do to protect their kids by Diane E. Levin and Jean Kilbourne. Ballantine Books, 2008 HQ792.U56 L48 2008
- Delusions of gender: how our minds, society, and neurosexism create difference by Cordelia Fine, Norton, 2010 QP360 .F52 2010
- Pink brain, blue brain: how small differences grow into troublesome gaps and what we can do about it by Lise Eliot. Houghton Mifflin, 2009 QP81.5 .E45 2009
- Sexing the body: Gender politics and the construction of sexuality by Ann Fasuto-Sterling, Basic Books, 2000 ebrary | HQ1075 .F387 2000
- Brain storm: The flaws in the science of sex differences by Rebecca Jordan-Young, Harvard University Press, 2010 QP81.5 .J67 2010
- The myth of Mars and Venus by Deborah Cameron. Oxford, 2007 P120.S48 C3525 2007
- Body outlaws : young women write about body image and identity edited by Ophira Edut. Seal Press, 2000 BF697.5.B63 A35 2000
- Beauty junkies: inside our $15 billion obsession with cosmetic surgery by Alex Kuczynski. Doubleday, 2006 RD118 .K83 2006
- Sisters of the yam: black women and self-recovery by bell hooks. South End Press, 1993 RC451.5.N4 H66 1993
- Catfight: rivalries among women by Leora Tanenbaum. Perennial, 2003 HQ1206 .T2143 2003
- Feminism, Inc.: coming of age in girl power media culture by Emilie Zaslow. HQ798 .Z37 2009
- Woman : an intimate geography / Natalie Angier. Anchor Books, 2000 QP38 .A54 2000
- Wild: from lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. Knopf, 2012 PS3619.T744 Z46 2012
- Dude, you're a fag: masculinity and sexuality in high school by C.J. Pascoe. University of California Press, 2011 HQ797 .P37 2011
- The gender knot : unraveling our patriarchal legacy, 3d ed., by Allan G. Johnson. Temple University Press, 2014 HQ1075 .J64 2014 [2d ed. available in ebrary]
- Packaging boyhood: Saving our sons from superheroes, slackers, and other media stereotypes by Lyn M. Brown, Sharon Lamb, & Mark Tappan, St. Martin’s Press, 2009 HD9970.5.C483 U635 2009
- Guyland: The perilous world where boys become men by Michael Kimmel, Harper, 2009 HQ799.6 .K56 2008
- The Macho paradox: Why some men hurt women and how all men can help by Jackson Katz, Sourcebooks, 2006 HV6250.4.W65 K39 2006
- Getting off: Pornography and the end of masculinity by Robert Jensen, South End Press, 2007 HQ471 .J47 2007
- Refusing to be a man: Essays on sex and justice by John Stoltenberg, Routledge, 2000 ebrary
Related Guides for Women's Studies
APA Style for Works Cited
There are several copies of The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (Sixth edition, 2010) at the reference desk in the library.
APA has its own APA Style website with both quick answers and tutorials.
In addition the IC Library has a couple online guides that will help you figure it out:
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.