STCM 23200: Public Relations
About this Guide
Table of Contents
- About this Guide
- Trade Publications and Blogs (PR Trends)
- Case Studies
- Benchmarking: Finding similar organizations
- Research Method
- LexisNexis to Google Mapping
- Public Relations, General topics
- Writing & Presentation Resources
- Data & Statistics
- Contact Us
- Search Argos
- Spring 2017 Clients
- Google News Alerts
- Ithaca Organizations & Events
- Books by Subject: Target markets
- Related Guides
- Simmons OneView Guides
- PR Newswire
- PR News Blog
- PR Week
- Ragan PR
- Tell Us What You Think
Trade Publications and Blogs (PR Trends)
Access via the library will typically provide a larger scope than going direct to the website. The website is good for current news and signing up for feeds, Twitter, email, etc.
- PR Week via the library ; website ; Twitter
- PR News via the library ; website ; Twitter
- PR Newswire ; website ; Twitter
- Ad Week via the library ; website ; Twitter
- Consumer Reports ; Twitter
- O'Dwyer's: Inside news of public relations & marketing communications ; Twitter
- Center for Media and Democracy's PR Watch ; Twitter
- Museum of Public Relations ; Twitter
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) (see PRSSA, right column)
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Institute for Public Relations (IPR)
- Council of Public Relation Firms (PR Council)
- Alltop - Top PR News
Alltop aggregates posts from all the top PR blogs.
- Brian Solis
Blog analyzing the effects of social media and technology on marketing, entertainment and culture.
- Bulldog Reporter's Daily Dog
PR views, news and tools by Infocom Group. Includes a free white paper library.
- Edelman Blog (6 A.M. Post) Trends in communications by Richard Edelman, Pres. &CEO/Edelman
- Holmes Report
Provides information to Public Relations professionals including case histories.
- The Flack Public relations in politics, pop culture, journalism, business, entertainment, tech, social media, consumer marketing & sports by Peter Himler.
- Ragan's PR Daily
Public Relations tips and news from Ragan.
- Strategic Public Relations Opinion on marketing strategy & more by Kevin Dugan. Includes a tab to the Bad Pitch Blog.
PR News contains case studies:
- PR News
Popular trade publication in the field of public relations. Search "case study" to find case studies on particular scenarios.
- PR news : top 100 case studies in PR
REF HM1221 .P7 2007
Gives a wide variety of examples about how a company, organization or individual handled a public relations event or program. See also: PR News Casebook (REF HM263 .P657 1993).
- Business Source Premier (Original Interface)
- ABI/INFORM Trade & Industry
- Business Insights: Essentials
- Nexis Uni (replaces LexisNexis)
- Business Source Premier (Original Interface) (BSP) Top index to business information. Trade and scholary. EBSCO interface.
- ABI/INFORM Collection Also a good index to business information. ProQuest interface.
- ScienceDirect Mainly science information but contains some strong public relations titles.
- Business Insights: Essentials Good for searching company and industry information. Compares to the Company Dossier in LexisNexis.
- Communication Source Top index to the field of communications. Trade and scholarly. EBSCO interface.
- Communication Studies: a SAGE Full-Text Collection Twelve fulltext journals in the field of communications by the publisher SAGE
Any of the databases below are good to search on any topic.
- Academic Search Premier Multidisciplinary database on an EBSCO interface.
- ProQuest Research Library Multidisciplinary database on a ProQuest interface.
- Academic OneFile Multidisciplinary database on a GALE interface.
- Ebook Central (formerly ebrary) Multidisciplinary database of full-text ebooks.
- Google Scholar
- Nexis Uni (replaces LexisNexis) National and international news, newswires, news transcripts. Also includes legal and company/industry information.
- US Newsstream National and international news, newswires, news transcripts. Also includes Gannett newspapers such as the Ithaca Journal.
- Ithaca Times
The online edition of Ithaca's weekly paper. Current issue only.
Benchmarking: Finding similar organizations
Business Insights: Essentials
Advanced Search screen: sample searches:
Search: Description from the drop-down and type parking in the first box
Search: Description from the drop-down and type craft beer in the first box > Brewers Association
Consider searching Country or State from the drop-down, ex. "United States"
Finding Associations for Benchmarking: locally
Go to the Advanced Search. Keywords: "craft beer" or parking Limit to New York in the left menu.
The Advanced Search did not work well for me. Just search "craft beer" or parking and use the left menu to focus
Search: "parking garage" or "parking lot" or Search: "craft beer"
- Search your client's website: ex. Freedom to Read
- Find the industry code: NAICS (North American Industrial Classification System)
Uses a 6 digit numbering system to classify industries that either make a product or offer a service (such as banks) in North America. You can search the database by code or by text describing the industry. These codes can be used to generate a list of companies in an industry and to compare them using other directories found both print or online. You may find the codes and an explanation of them here: http://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/ How to find a NAICS code (video updated Aug. 2016 by Jim Bondra, Business Librarian). There is a broad industry code for Civic and Social Organizations is 813410
- Charity Navigator: Search your Charity: Freedom to Read, Inc. Look at the NTE Code: B70 NTEE (National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities) B70 is Libraries and Library Science
- Company Profile and History. Search Business Insights: Essentials and Nexis Uni (replaces LexisNexis) (Content type > Companies > Dossier) for company profiles. Is there a parent company (look at the hierarchy)? Is there a company history? After finding the company profile in LexisNexis, do a second search in the News files (Content type > All News > Advanced Options)
- Coverage in magazines, newspapers, business wires, and reports.
a) Search your company or organization's name AND/OR your product (ex. "Freedom to Read" ) in local presses: and Ithaca Times :
b) by the NAICS industry code AND your product in business databases ABI/INFORM Collection , Business Source Premier (Original Interface)
- Coverage in the S&P Industry survey (print resource, library Reference)
Standard & Poor's Industry Surveys REF HC106.6 S74
- Information from supporting trade associations.
Print Reference: Encyclopedia of Business Information Sources
REF DESK HF5353 .E52 Use it to identify directories, yearbooks, periodicals and newsletters, and trade associations for your industry. Industry organizations are a good additional source of information. Some information may be available for members only.
- Look for additional reports in Statista , a database that aggregates statistical information from market research, government data, etc.
- Use Simmons OneView to find more demographic information of those you plan to target (find information, for example, preferences of female health food eaters in a particular age range). You can also find which media that demographic is most likely to use.
- Use SRDS Media Solutions for ad placement by DMA, media contact information, and some pricing.
LexisNexis to Google Mapping
1. Choose Search by Content Type
2. Choose the Company Dossier:
3. Find a Company. Search: Brooktons Market to find the entry. Write down the NAICS code (Industry Classification) with the company: 445110
4. Under the Company tab (upper left tab) > Create a Company List
5. Fill out the form with the NAICS code: 445110 & Geographic Information (United States, New York).
Suggested: County: Tompkins. You could do 2 counties as Brooktondale is near Tioga county. You'd separate the counties with a comma: County: Tompkins, Tioga. Note: the larger the area, the more businesses you'll retrieve and the more data you'll need to clean up.
Click "Next: Customize List" to customize your results
- Change default from alphabetical to "Sort by Sales"
- Play around with the options in the Contact Information (ex. add in secondary SIC codes)
- FOR MAPPING: Include only important Contact Information
- Download Selected Items: CSV Formatted File
- You can download a .csv file from LexisNexis that includes only address specific information. You need to delete or update any P.O. box numbers.
- Then you can drag-and-drop the .csv file into Google Maps.
8. Upload a .csv file
9. Choose columns to position your placemarks: Company Name, Street Address > Continue
10. Choose Column to title your makers: Company Name > Finish
(sample) Map of Tompkins County Supermarkets
Public Relations, General topics
- Advertising and public relations law
New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Encyclopedia of communication theory
REF P87.5 .E496 2009
- Encyclopedia of Public Relations
REF HD59 .E48 2005
2 volumes. Covers a wide variety of definitions and essays on various topics.
- Evaluating public relations : a best practice guide to public relations and evaluation
HD59 .W325 2007
Kogan Page Limited, c2005.
- The handbook of communication ethics
P94 .H353 2011
Cheney, May & Munshi. New York: Routledge, 2011.
- Handbook of Public Relations
REF HD59 .H267 2001
Includes definitions of the discipline, best practices in a wide variety of contexts, etc.
- Handbook of strategic public relations & integrated communications
HM263 .H317 2012
2nd ed. Covers different industries that use PR and integrated marketing communications.
- IABC handbook of organizational communication : a guide to internal communication, public relations, marketing, and leadership
Jossey-Bass, 2011. ebook
- Nonprofit Almanac
REF HD2769.2 .U6 N64 2008
Urban Institute Press, 2008. Provides statistics on the nonprofit sector. Chapters: 1. The Nonprofit sector and its place in the national economy ; 2. Wage and employment trends ; 3. Trends in private giving and volunteering ; 4. Financial Trends ; 5. The Size, scope, and finances of public charities. Includes a glossary and index.
- O'Dwyer's directory of public relations firms
REF HM263 .O37
Directory of public relations firms and their clients. One can also determine the public relations firm(s) for various companies.
- SRDS Media Solutions
- Advertising, Political--United States
- Persuasion (Psychology)
- Public relations
- Public relations firms
- Public relations Management
- Public relations Moral and ethical aspects
- Public relations Evaluation
- Public relations Social aspects
- Public relations--United States--Case studies.
- International Journal of Strategic Communication
- Journal of Marketing Communications
- Journal of Public Relations Research
- PRweek (U.S. ed.)
- Public Relations Quarterly
- Public Relations Review
- Ragan Report
- Social Marketing Quarterly
- American Rhetoric
A database of over 5000 full text, audio, and video versions of public speeches, sermons, legal proceedings, lectures, debates and interviews.
- Institute for Public Relations (IPR)
Non-for-profit organization founded in 1956 that provides educational resources and research to educators, practitioners, and the public.
- Museum of Public Relations
Online exhibit that explores the careers of pioneers in the field of public relations such as: Edward Bernays, Moss Kendrix, Carl Byoir, Arthur Page, and Chet Burger.
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
Membership organization devoted to advancing the field of public relations. Related to PRSSA the national student chapter.
Writing & Presentation Resources
- Associated Press (AP) stylebook and briefing on media law
REF DESK PN4783 .A83
- PR styleguide: formats for public relations practice
REF HM1221 .D54 2013
Wadsworth Cengage Learning, 2013.
- American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Ithaca College Library: Citation Page
- Wilson, K. (2011). The AMA handbook of business documents: guidelines and sample documents that make business writing easy. New York, NY: AMACOM.
- Wilson, K., & American Management Association. (2010). The AMA handbook of business writing: the ultimate guide to style, grammar, usage, punctuation, construction, and formatting. New York: AMACOM/American Management Association.
- Truss, L. (2004). Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation. New York: Gotham Books.
- Zotero is software that allows you to easily collect, manage, and save bibliographic information about the items you find on the Web. It also works with word processing programs to help you easily cite your sources as you write. Ron Gilmour, our Science Librarian, created, "A Brief Guide to Using Zotero".
Data & Statistics
- American FactFinder
Current population, housing, economic, and geographic data from the US Census Bureau. Includes the Annual Survey of Manufactures, Economic Census, Current Population Estimates, Business Patterns, and American Community Surveys. The Guided Search walks you through each step in picking the data and/or geographies you want to download.
Compete (Kantar Media) "helps the worlds top brands improve their marketing based on the online behavior of millions of consumers." Demographic data from this service is also included in SRDS Consumer Media.
The purpose of Data.gov is "to increase public access to high value, machine readable datasets generated by the Executive Branch of the Federal Government." The site includes searchable data catalogs providing access to data in three ways: through the "raw" data catalog, the tool catalog, and the geodata catalog.
- Doubleclick ad planner
A Google ad planning feature that assists market researchers define audience and build media plans. Demographic data are also included in SRDS Consumer Media.
- Klout Score
The Klout Score measures influence on topics across the social web.
Measures audiences for television and other media markets. Claritas SiteReports provides U.S. demographic data.
- Q Scores
This company measures the consumer appeal of personalities, products, characters, licensed properties, programs and brands. The Q Score is a "measure of likeability" that predicts consumer involvement. Data is sold to advertisement and PR firms amongst others.
- Simmons OneView
Simmons OneView(formerly Simmons Choices3) provides access to U.S. adult (18+) consumer data on product and brand usage, spending behavior, media usage/habits, and more. It can be used to create custom reports which analyze demographic and/or psychographic characteristics of product users and their media behavior. It allows cross tabulation of hundreds of consumer product categories and usage data for over 8,000 brands, inclusive consumer media habits, diverse demographic categories and psychographic (attitudinal and lifestyle) profiles. It consists of three parts: National Consumer Study (NCS), National Hispanic Consumer Study (NHCS) and New Media. Most recent data available is at least two years old. Our license allows for five simultaneous users.
A statistics portal that provides data on over 80,000 topics from more than 10,000 different sources. The content is purely aggregated statistics, geared towards business and marketing statistical needs, with a focus on current awareness. Easy-to-use infographics and tables are available for download as images to insert into presentations.
- Television & cable factbook
Lists cable and television stations by geographic area. Shows coverage area maps, DMA information including # of households with cable and television. Programming offered by cable companies, etc. 4 volumes. Library retains current edition only.
- U.S. Census Bureau
Social, demographic and economic information. Includes the American FactFinder resource.
UNdata pools major UN databases and those of several international organizations - browse, search and download data from a large number of statistical databases. Data categories include: agriculture, education, employment, energy, environment, health, human development, industry, information and communication technology, national accounts, population, refugees, trade, and tourism.
Spring 2017 Clients
- New York State Parking Association (NYSPA) Project: NYSPA will be celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2017 and would like to develop marking materials to celebrate the anniversary and to grow our membership. We are particularly interested in creating a video that would talk about the history of our organization and help recruit new members.
- Wellsboro House: Retaurant and Brewery Project: Raise awareness of the brewery component of the business.
Google News Alerts
Ithaca Organizations & Events
Websites (many offer RSS, Twitter feeds, and Event Calendars):
- City of Ithaca (government)
- Downtown Ithaca
- Finger Lakes Wine Center
- Ithaca Yellow Pages
- Ithaca Directory: Non-profit Organizations
- Ithaca Times (weekly newspaper) : Calendar
- Tompkins County Chamber of Commerce see the Membership Directory
- Visit Ithaca, NY
- WSKG Community Calendar
Print Directory: ask for it at the Reference Desk
- Dickman Directory: Ithaca and Tompkins County
A criss-cross directory searchable by local street address or by phone number. Includes persons residing at that address and estimated median income levels.
Books by Subject: Target markets
- Baby boom generation.
- Communication in marketing
- Consumer behavior
- Consumers United States Statistics
- Consumers' preferences
- Consumption (Economics) United States Statistics
- Demographic surveys
- Demographic surveys United States Statistics
- Direct marketing
- Generation X
- Generation Y (Millennials, Net generation)
- Internet marketing
- Leisure Statistics
- Lifestyles Statistics
- Market segmentation
- Market surveys United States
- Marketing decision making
- Marketing management
- Motivation research (Marketing)
- New Strategist Publications (demographic book series)
- Social marketing
- Strategic planning
- Target marketing
- Television programs United States Rating
- Young adult consumers
- Competitive Analysis (by Jim Bondra, Business Librarian)
- Communications Research Methods lists books for a variety of research methods
- Company Research (by Jim Bondra, Business Librarian)
- Industry Research (by Jim Bondra, Business Librarian)
- Integrated Marketing Communications Subject guide to all aspects of IMC
- Private Company Research (by Jim Bondra, Business Librarian)
- SWOT analysis ((by Jim Bondra, Business Librarian)
Simmons OneView Guides
Guides from Jim Bondra, Business Librarian:
- Simmons One View Introduction and Basics
- Constructing a Brand/Product Search in Simmons OneView
- Interpreting Simmons OneView Results
- How to Read a Simmons OneView Crosstab.pdf
- Test your self to make sure you understand the numbers: Self Test
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.