SOCI 44800 Tutorial in Sexuality & Gender Research
Table of Contents
Principal Periodical Databases
- SocINDEX with Full Text
Comprehensive coverage of sociology and related areas of study: criminology & criminal justice, demography,ethnic & racial studies, gender studies, marriage & family, political sociology, religion, rural & urban sociology, social development, social psychology, social structure, social work, socio-cultural anthropology, sociological history, sociological research, sociological theory, substance abuse & other addictions and violence.
- LGBT life with Full Text
World's literature regarding Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender issues. (Was GLBT Life with Full Text)
- Academic Search Premier and ProQuest Research Library
Multi-disciplinary periodical databases that cover both current events and research studies.
- Google Scholar
Links to peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports. Supports cited reference searching. Includes recent or unpublished work that hasn't yet been indexed. Includes links to full-text resources when available.
GenderWatch is a full-text database containing 140 international publications plus reports, pamphlets, papers and conference proceedings devoted to women's and gender issues. It is a repository of materials on gender issues worldwide, the evolution of the women's movement, and the changes in gender roles over the last twenty years.
- Gender Studies Collection
This collection of journals aims to provide balanced coverage of this significant aspect of our culture, covering such topics as gender studies, family and marital issues, health aspects, and many more.
For psychological and other behaviorial aspects of sexuality and gender
- JSTOR and Project Muse
Full text multidisciplinary databases with strong holdings in the social sciences. For JStor, articles from the most recent years may not be available.
- Biological Abstracts , MEDLINE (EBSCO) and ScienceDirect
Especially for biological and medical aspects
- Nexis Uni (replaces LexisNexis)
For legal aspects: civil rights, marriage equality, discrimination.
- Gender & Society
- Journal of Research in Gender Studies
- Journal of Gender & Social Issues
- Sex Roles
- GLQ: A Journal of Gay and Lesbian Studies
- Sexuality & Culture
- Journal of Homosexuality
- Journal of the History of Sexuality
- Journal of Sex Research
- Journal of Men's Studies
- Men and Masculinities
- Differences: A Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies
- Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion
- Feminist Review
- Feminist Studies
- Hypatia: a Journal of Feminist Philosophy.
- Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society
To find books, including ebooks
- Women [with many subheadings, such as Women--Social conditions, Women--Legal status, laws, etc.], Women--Statistics, Women - Employment
- Gender identity
- Gay men
- Gay couples
- Gay and lesbian studies
- Sex discrimination against women
- Body image in women
- Sex role
- Sex in popular culture
- Sex role
- Sex change
To search for ebooks directly, you can go to Ebook Central (formerly ebrary)
To find additional books, you can also browse the stacks in these call number areas:
- BF 692 Psychology of sex. Sexual behavior
- HQ75-77 LGBT issues
- HQ503-1064 Marriage and Family
HQ1088-1091 Men and Masculinity
- HQ1101-2030 Women and Feminism
- RG Gynecology, Obstetrics, and Women's Health
Films in the Ithaca College Library
APA Citation Style
There are several copies of The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (Sixth edition, 2010) at the reference desk in the library.
APA has its own APA Style website with both quick answers and tutorials.
In addition the IC Library has a couple online guides that will help you figure it out:
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.