CSCR 35001 Politics of Whiteness
These are just five databases out of many available to Ithaca College students to help you locate peridiocal articles and get started on the research for your project.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
To see how sociologists and other social scientists have researched the topic
- Ethnic NewsWatch
Through newspaper, magazine and journal articles, a way to tap into the topic from the point of view of ethnic, minority and native American groups and individuals
Valuable when you are considering whiteness from an anthropological perspective
- Alternative Press Index
When looking for information on the topic from a different point of view
- Academic Search Premier
For coverage from the mainstream press and scholarly sources
These are a few titles available online through the Ithaca College Library. Check the online catalog for more books in the collection (both online and in paper).
- Baum, Bruce. The rise and fall of the Caucasian race: a political history of racial identity. New York University Press, 2006.
- Clarke, Simon, and Steve Garner. White identities: a critical sociological approach. Pluto Press, 2010.
- Conley, Dalton. Honky. University of California Press, 2000.
- Crossroads, Directions, and a New Critical Race Theory. Temple, 2011.
- Hill, Mike. After Whiteness: Unmaking an American Majority. NYU Press, 2004.
- Lipsitz, George. Possessive Investment in Whiteness : How White People Profit from Identity Politics. Temple, 2009.
- MacMullan, Terrance. Habits of Whiteness : A Pragmatist Reconstruction. Indiana University Press, 2009.
- The Construction of Whiteness : An Interdisciplinary Analysis of Race Formation and the Meaning of a White Identity. University Press of Mississippi, 2016.
- Race in the Age of Obama. Emerald Group, 2010.
- Sullivan, Shannon. Good White People : The Problem with Middle-Class White Anti-Racism. State University of New York Press, 2014.
- Sullivan, Shannon. Revealing Whiteness: The Unconscious Habits of Racial Privilege. Indiana University Press, 2006.
- Traber, Daniel S. Whiteness, Otherness and the Individualism Paradox from Huck to Punk. Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
- Watson, Veronica T. The Souls of White Folk : African American Writers Theorize Whiteness. University Press of Mississippi, 2013.
Government and University Websites
The following are web-based resources that have been created, selected, or recommended by librarians, scholars, and other experts:
- The Whiteness Project, an interactive investigation into how Americans who identify as “white” experience their ethnicity.
- Sociological Images often explores race and ethnicity and the image of whites
- Challenging White Supremacy (CWS) organizes workshops and provides many online resources.
- White Trash, the Construction of an American Scapegoat, created by Angelina Price, as an independent project for American Cultural Studies. University of Virginia.
- Understanding Race, created by the American Anthropological Association
- How racism harms white Americans, an analysis by John H. Bracey Jr. 2013. DVD 9769
- White like me, a film by Scott Morris, 2013. DVD 9767
- Blacking up hip-hop's remix of race and identity, a look at the popularity of hip-hop among America's white youth. 2010. DVD
- The Order of Myths, directed by Margaret Brown, 2008. DVD 6508
- The pathology of privilege: racism, white denial & the costs of inequality, a film by by Sut Jhally, 2008. DVD 8986
- What makes me white?, a film by Aimée Sands, 2007. DVD 4708
- Mirrors of privilege: making whiteness visible. a film by Shakti Butler. 2006. DVD 7275
- What's race got to do with it?, a film by Jean Cheng, 2006. DVD 2798
- What does it mean to be white? the invisible whiteness of being, a film by Derald Wing Sue, 2004. DVD 2255
- The complete blue eyed, with Jane Elliott, 1995-2004. DVD 1872
- Race - The Power of an Illusion, a three-episode series from California Newsreel, 2003. DVD 2500