CSCR 35001 Politics of Whiteness
These are just five databases out of many available to Ithaca College students to help you locate peridiocal articles and get started on the research for your project.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
To see how sociologists and other social scientists have researched the topic
- Ethnic NewsWatch
Through newspaper, magazine and journal articles, a way to tap into the topic from the point of view of ethnic, minority and native American groups and individuals
Valuable when you are considering whiteness from an anthropological perspective
- Alternative Press Index
When looking for information on the topic from a different point of view
- Academic Search Premier
For coverage from the mainstream press and scholarly sources
These are a few titles available online through the Ithaca College Library. Check the online catalog for more books in the collection (both online and in paper).
- Baum, Bruce. The rise and fall of the Caucasian race: a political history of racial identity. New York University Press, 2006.
- Clarke, Simon, and Steve Garner. White identities: a critical sociological approach. Pluto Press, 2010.
- Conley, Dalton. Honky. University of California Press, 2000.
- Crossroads, Directions, and a New Critical Race Theory. Temple, 2011.
- Hill, Mike. After Whiteness: Unmaking an American Majority. NYU Press, 2004.
- Lipsitz, George. Possessive Investment in Whiteness : How White People Profit from Identity Politics. Temple, 2009.
- MacMullan, Terrance. Habits of Whiteness : A Pragmatist Reconstruction. Indiana University Press, 2009.
- The Construction of Whiteness : An Interdisciplinary Analysis of Race Formation and the Meaning of a White Identity. University Press of Mississippi, 2016.
- Race in the Age of Obama. Emerald Group, 2010.
- Sullivan, Shannon. Good White People : The Problem with Middle-Class White Anti-Racism. State University of New York Press, 2014.
- Sullivan, Shannon. Revealing Whiteness: The Unconscious Habits of Racial Privilege. Indiana University Press, 2006.
- Traber, Daniel S. Whiteness, Otherness and the Individualism Paradox from Huck to Punk. Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
- Watson, Veronica T. The Souls of White Folk : African American Writers Theorize Whiteness. University Press of Mississippi, 2013.
Government and University Websites
The following are web-based resources that have been created, selected, or recommended by librarians, scholars, and other experts:
- The Whiteness Project, an interactive investigation into how Americans who identify as “white” experience their ethnicity.
- Sociological Images often explores race and ethnicity and the image of whites
- Challenging White Supremacy (CWS) organizes workshops and provides many online resources.
- White Trash, the Construction of an American Scapegoat, created by Angelina Price, as an independent project for American Cultural Studies. University of Virginia.
- Understanding Race, created by the American Anthropological Association
These are a few of the more than dozen films about whiteness and race culture.
- How racism harms white Americans. 2013. VIDEO 9769
- White like me 2013. VIDEO 9767
- Blacking up: hip-hop's remix of race and identity, 2010. VIDEO 7579
- Prom night in Mississippi 2009. VIDEO 10659
- The pathology of privilege racism, white denial & the costs of inequality. 2008. VIDEO 8987
- What makes me white? 2007. VIDEO 4708