ANTH 10700 World Archaeology
Principal Periodical Databases
Full text of articles from scholarly journals in many disciplines, including 162 archaeology titles, 51 architecture and architectural history titles, 134 anthropology titles, 470 history titles, and 14 paleontology titles. For most journals, you will not be able to access the full text of articles from the latest 3-5 years.
- America: History and Life
An index to journals covering the history and prehistory of the U.S. and Canada
- Historical Abstracts
An index to journals covering the history of the world from 1450 to the present (excluding the U.S. and Canada). Unfortunately no coverage of ancient civilizations nor pre-history
Full text access to American Anthropological Association journals. Limited coverage of archaeology.
- ATLA religion database with ATLASerials
An index to religion and theology journals, but includes coverage of biblical and classical archaeology.
Over many decades, archaeology has been a strong component of this premier science journal.
- AATA Online (Art and Archaeology Technical Abstracts)
A database of abstracts of literature related to the preservation and conservation of material cultural heritage.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
Includes indexing of articles on the architecture of ancient civilizations.
- AnthroNotes, from the Smiithsonian, focuses on archaeology as well as anthropology.
Locating Books: Subject Headings
For the study and research of objects, artwork, buildings, and other remains from the ancient past, put the name of the people or place first and then use Antiquities as the subheading.
Only use this subect heading if you are examining archaeology as a discipline.
- Prehistoric peoples
Use with name of place as a subheading for a narrower focus.
- Use Art, Prehistoric for such things as rock paintings and cave paintings, but use Art, Primitive for traditional art of the preliterate and nonindustrialized people. There will be overlap.
- See also such subject headings as diverse as Paleoanthropology; Religion, Prehistoric; Neanderthals; ; Antiquities, Prehistoric; ; Ethnoarchaeology; Social archaeology.
- Indians of North America--New Mexico--Chaco Canyon--Antiquities.
- Archaeology--New Mexico--Chaco Canyon--History.
- Excavations (Archaeology)--New Mexico--Chaco Canyon.
- Chaco Canyon (N.M.)--Antiquities. New Mexico--Antiquities.
Locating Books: Call Numbers
- CC: Archaeology
Here you'll find books on archaeology as a discipline, and related subjects such as methodology, preservation, and study and teaching
- GN281-289: Human evolution. Human fossils. Human paleontology
As long as the emphasis in on the anthropological perspective, books will be found here. If the approach is more biological, the book will be found in QH368.
- GN700-890: Prehistoric archaeology
Here you'll find books on actual archaeological sites, excavasions, and antiquities, but only from the most ancient of days, and not all books on those topics will be here.
- D through F: History
Here you may find books about archaeological sites, excavasions, and antiquities, if they date back only as far as the historical era. For example, some books on the archaeology of Africa will be found in the DTs, but others will be found in the GNs. Most books on the archaeology of Indians of North America will be found between E77 and E99.
Tell Us What You Think
Please take a moment to complete this very short survey. Your responses will help us to address any further questions you may have.